Search This Blog

Sunday, September 04, 2011

Celebration Time...Or is it???


Looks like I'm on a dry spell. My bad phase is here and it is haunting the soul out of me. I'm gonna be whining a lot now in this post so belt up. First the internet keeps bailing on me, my friends keep creating unwanted drama, my mum's complaining about my dog, my dad's complaining about my bro, my privacy is being invaded in my own house, my plans keep getting cancelled, its raining billis and kuttas and I cant step out without muck in my favorite shoe, I haven't eaten a pizza for like, forever,  my mood is at its all time low, and this is exactly the moment where I scream my lungs out. AAaarrggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!

And to add to it, here comes Ganesh Chaturthi. Here's one thing that everyone close to me should know at all costs. I'm not a morning person. I have my most dangerously dramatic mood swings exactly at that moment. And if you screw up my morning, you screw up my entire day, and trust me you do not wanna get on my bad side. So what exactly did happen on the auspicious day to ruin good aura?? I was awakened at 7:00 am on a holiday with  a ear-deafening atrocious chain of fire crackers that went on for 20 mins. 20 mins is what my mum tells me, to me it seemed like a lifetime. Sheesh!!!  And then came the distressing band of drums and flutes and saxophones that chimed in all together to make something that sounded like what you get when you chase crazy cats and pigs. All that commotion went on for a good half an hour. By now, I was pestered enough to get out of my house and put up a fight. But then, the loud speakers went on to chant bhajans and mantras of worship. And thus, I bought myself to peace while my mind still was irritated with the pandemonium that ruined my morning.

I'm an Indian, and after 22 years of my life, I have learnt to adjust myself to all the cultures, festivals, traits, beliefs, crimes,  even the horrid traffic for that matter. And I do realize that this is what makes us Indians so unique. We find our own ways to celebrate and rejoice even in the moment of darkness. This is what brings us closer to unite us into a mighty big nuclear family. But, my issue here, is it necessary to brush it into everybody's faces even if they are not interested. For ex: Wasn't Ganesh Chaturthi a festival created so that communities or each sector could come together with one idol of Lord Ganesh, and sing and rejoice, and worship the lord in unity and peace. Then why does every family now have an individual idol at their own homes, their own praise and worship time, their own procession of immersing it into the waters. Isn't this a breach of tradition???

I am not against anything that comes to religion. I am a believer too. But why violate tradition and make it an event of turmoil and tragedy. I know one should sing their heart out unto the lord, but is that band and fire crackers and the blast of noise really necessary? I see people taking their holy idols to be immersed, and the public is indecently dancing to Bollywood tunes on the roads. What an insult.. This doesn't show any respect to your own gods and it is unacceptable. And while you are busy having your own catastrophic celebration, you are blocking the roads for the other citizens who are actually following the festival seriously. Hours of traffic, water pollution, air and noise pollution, all of this just for a street show that you aren't even serious about, not worth it na.

My main problem with Indian festivals is that something so beautiful once-upon-a-time, is now a ridiculous gimmick. I do appreciate the ones who still believe in carrying the rituals in its order. If only people could stop making a scene out of holy matters, a few things would get back into its place peacefully. I certainly would like to regain my peace back. 

Do share your opinions with me. Have a great weekend..
Lavanya.

2 comments:

  1. i agree 500 % to the above article...n sory 2 say but des fests r becomin a cheap political ground...its all goin frm bad to worse as t yr passes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. true...good to know there's someone who thinks like me..

    ReplyDelete