Search This Blog

Thursday, August 04, 2011

The Big Divide


I'm so sick and disgusted with all the dirty customs that are dragged down along with us for years after years. My mum and I had a spat again last night. And its the same old discussion--about how my brother should concentrate on studies and move ahead and I should rather sit at home after a certain degree that is acceptable by the society than go to work.


Is it just me or do you too face this catastrophe??  I've been having this debate with my parents for a couple of years now, and they are stubborn in changing their mindset. Just because your forefather and his forefather followed the ritual of treating their daughters like a slave and excess burden to the family, do you just blindly ape their customs, or would you rather be smart and educate yourself out of it. Its the 21st century, and one would expect that we will finally find solace and equality in our education field, work fence, social circle..et al. But NOOO...it looks like people have been enticed by our ancestral lifestyle. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, but this is something that I refuse to sit back and accept. Atleast not in my life and family. Why be submissive to all the agony that we girls are targeted with? Why be so meek when you have the chance to make a stand for yourself??  So many opportunities, such a waste of life.


My argument here, especially with my parents is that, if you didn't want your girl child to study ahead, why put me in a school in the first place? Why educate me so much if all you wanted me to do is get married to another rich spoilt brat and make me serve their family for the rest of my life? What allowed you to let me dream and then try and tear all my ambitions away? I wouldn't have wasted all my time and energy and efforts in studying and passing through the endless examinations. Just because the system tells you that you need to be a graduate to be tagged as a kid from a respectful family? Or is it cause the only way I would get married is a freaking degree in my other bunch of certificates?? ha ha...Why do you  need a degree to get me married, All I have to do is cook and clean and cater to my in-laws right. You don't need a degree for that. So silly.. I mean is it wrong, and so harmful to your ego if a girl studies and provides for herself.  Is your ego and customs more superior to our feelings and needs. 


Being a girl is tough. I'm not saying that a boy can get away with everything  like its a joy ride. But being a girl comes along with a ton load of responsibilities. Responsibilities of being tolerant, strong, having the fighting spirit, the courage to stand up for yourself, face the blatant society, and most importantly, being able to wipe your tears and stand up because the next day you are again going to find demented and atrocious behavior that you may have to deal with.


A certain someone that I know is a total brick-head. I would rather stare at the wall for a whole day happily than strike a conversation with him for 5 minutes. But as luck goes, he gets the encouragement to atleast scrape through studies while I'm being constantly demotivated. Not fair na. I certainly did expect that living in the city of Mumbai would be more than enough to teach them the reality of life, of how it is the new custom to move forward in life and dream big, instead of suppressing ones aspirations into ashes.With women like Pratibha Patil, Kiran Bedi, Kalpana Chawla and many more, Indians are still very biased on the gender front. After years of shouting and arguing and tear shedding episodes, I still don't see any effect on my folks. Maybe if Mr. God could take some time out from his busy schedule and entertain my parents with a talk, well,,, its not too much to ask, is it. It will certainly make life easier for many struggling women out there.


I know i'm not the only one. This is my message to all girls driven to crazy land with the similar issue. If there has to be war, let it happen. Make sure there is blood. And for the ones who succumb to the society pressures , I have zero respect for you. Why would I, you do not respect your own-self, right... I know I sound harsh, but it takes a lot more than potential and determination to make it happen. 


I feel slightly better now, I'll be honest with you. I usually get rid of my anger by breaking something or screaming into a pillow. But this was way better. Share your opinions with me in the comment box. You agree, disagree, or have other theories of your own, please feel free to share with me.


Have a great day ahead, and be strong.
Lavanya..

No comments:

Post a Comment