My weekends so far have never been disappointing. *Knock on Wood*....I'd really like to keep it that way.
This weekend, I did the unexpected. I spent two days in a village. I....Me....the girl who is a major hygiene freak, who hates bugs and dirty feet, the girl who cant stand foul odor and will walk away from the scene...yes, that's the kinda high maintenance chick I am. But I took the challenge. Everything is a first time experience after all, isn't it??
This experience happened to me in the form of a missionary trip. It took me to a village in the interiors of Maharashtra, a place called Wada Village. And gosh, was it mind numbingly beautiful. The serene beauty of nature, fog capped hills, ever-lasting fields, and the cool breeze, all made it a mesmerizing place to be.
Little did I know that there were more surprises waiting for me. We lived in a church, that was awesome. You wanna know the horrifying part, there were no bathrooms. NO FRIGGIN BATHROOMS!!!!!... Aaargggghhhhh...
Oh the horror that still ran through my head. No fresh water, how the hell was I gonna survive. They did have a tiny space with a commode fit in place....but that isn't enough for a city girl, is it?? That's when I ordered myself to, "Hold It IN"..
Later that day, after a session of praise and worship, we headed to a place called Gaikwad. We had to walk through fields and balance through logs of wood to pass the broken intersection to get to a church. These are mightily blessed people. A church that looked like a structure made of wood and cow dung was all they needed to worship the Lord. Every face that you saw had a smile and a feeling of content on it....a kinda feeling that we people in the city lack. It is a privilege to be among such blessed souls.
And the surprises continued.. That evening, the villagers had a little welcome gift in store for us. The kids danced and sang and performed for us. And the major highlight of the trip for me was when the whole church echoed with praise and worship songs and a routine called the 'Warley Dance'.
Next morning was a little scary, but by now, all the positivism around me curbed my little situation of absolutely no fresh water. Get a load of this....we were using the water to clean ourselves and then the same water that was collected in a lake came back to us,... I did cringe a little,,,,but for experience sake...its all cool.
This weekend, I did the unexpected. I spent two days in a village. I....Me....the girl who is a major hygiene freak, who hates bugs and dirty feet, the girl who cant stand foul odor and will walk away from the scene...yes, that's the kinda high maintenance chick I am. But I took the challenge. Everything is a first time experience after all, isn't it??
This experience happened to me in the form of a missionary trip. It took me to a village in the interiors of Maharashtra, a place called Wada Village. And gosh, was it mind numbingly beautiful. The serene beauty of nature, fog capped hills, ever-lasting fields, and the cool breeze, all made it a mesmerizing place to be.
Little did I know that there were more surprises waiting for me. We lived in a church, that was awesome. You wanna know the horrifying part, there were no bathrooms. NO FRIGGIN BATHROOMS!!!!!... Aaargggghhhhh...
Oh the horror that still ran through my head. No fresh water, how the hell was I gonna survive. They did have a tiny space with a commode fit in place....but that isn't enough for a city girl, is it?? That's when I ordered myself to, "Hold It IN"..
Later that day, after a session of praise and worship, we headed to a place called Gaikwad. We had to walk through fields and balance through logs of wood to pass the broken intersection to get to a church. These are mightily blessed people. A church that looked like a structure made of wood and cow dung was all they needed to worship the Lord. Every face that you saw had a smile and a feeling of content on it....a kinda feeling that we people in the city lack. It is a privilege to be among such blessed souls.
And the surprises continued.. That evening, the villagers had a little welcome gift in store for us. The kids danced and sang and performed for us. And the major highlight of the trip for me was when the whole church echoed with praise and worship songs and a routine called the 'Warley Dance'.
Next morning was a little scary, but by now, all the positivism around me curbed my little situation of absolutely no fresh water. Get a load of this....we were using the water to clean ourselves and then the same water that was collected in a lake came back to us,... I did cringe a little,,,,but for experience sake...its all cool.
my bro, me and my cousins
the kids performed for us....cute, eh?
An unshowered, filthy, sweaty, stinky (put in more adjectives if you think this is less) bunch of people, including me, returned back to Mumbai with an unforgettable experience and great memories. But what I did yield from this trip is a completely new outlook towards my life. I feel much grateful for all the amenities I have in life.
I'll take your leave with many more amazing experiences to come, and I do wish that you too go ahead and celebrate life....
Much Love,
Lavanya....


No comments:
Post a Comment